Adapting & Designing for Wheelchair Users on 13th Oct 2021 from 09:30 to 12:30 - IRELAND
ADAPTING & DESIGNING FOR WHEELCHAIR USERS (IRELAND)
13 Oct 2021 | 09:30 - 12:30 | Online via Zoom
This module introduces delegates to essential design principles for both wheelchair accessible and wheelchair adapted housing. It advises on how to make recommendations for both individual and generic wheelchair users. The course overviews a wide range of space standards such as turning circles, clear opening widths for doorways, transfer spaces by beds and storage recommendations. It also demonstrates, via illustrations and videos, ways of assessing individual wheelchair user requirements. The course is live and interactive and led by a highly experienced trainer. Places are limited so please book early to avoid disappointment.
ON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE, DELEGATES SHOULD
- Have an overview of key wheelchair space standards, including corridor widths, turning circles, clear opening widths for doorways, socket and switch heights, storage spaces and wheelchair transfer spaces
- Have increased awareness on how to assess a property for its accessibility or adaptability when carrying out an initial assessment
- Be able to discuss Technical Guidance Document M (Access & Use) 2010 - accessibility standards contained within Irish Building Regulations
- Be able to measure up individual users for essential adaptations such as doorway widths, through floor lifts, ramp landings etc
- Have experience of assessing housing schemes for their accessibility (within a group setting)
- Understand where to obtain further information and resources in relation to accessible housing, such as the AOTI Housing Design Guidelines for OTs and the Northern Irish Toolkit, and how to incorporate these into adaptation work.
- Electronic handouts (PDFs) provided
- Digital Attendance Certificates issued (3 CPD hours)
- Our online courses are interactive and typically include some or all of the following: presentations, case studies, desktop exercises, demonstration videos, discussions, breakout rooms and Q&As with trainers.
To view our UK based courses, visit: https://viva-access.arlo.co/w/uk/upcoming/